Physicians in This Family

Andrew Robert. Kilpatrick, M.D. (1817-1887)

"The only son of Dr. and Mrs. James H.T. Kilpatrick, of North Carolina, was born near Cheneyville, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish, March 20, 1817.  He received his literary education at the best academies of the time in the state of Georgia.  At the age of seventeen, without any preliminary reading on the subject, he entered the medical department of the University of Georgia at Augusta.  The next year he entered Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia.  He did not apply for a degree, but returned to Georgia and obtained a license to practice from the Burke County examining board.  He practiced that summer, and then entered the Augusta Medical College again, graduating in March, 1837.

His first practice was done in Louisiana and Mississippi, where he had experience with epidemics of both cholera and yellow fever.  He moved to Texas in 1861, bringing with a company of twenty white persons and one hundred and sixty-two Negroes.  His first residence was at the Tennessee Colony in Anderson County, but he later moved to Navasota, where he did a large practice until his death.  he served most capably during yellow fever and cholera epidemics in Texas, his experiences in the other states helping him to combat the diseases.

Dr. Kilpatrick wrote many scientific papers that were published in the best medical journals in the country.  His first contribution was written in 1838 when he was only twenty-one years old.  It was published in Dr. John Bell's Medical Journal in Philadelphia and was a report of a case of an incised wound of the abdomen and the diversion of the ileum with an ax, successfully treated and recovering in twenty days.  That was long before the days of antiseptics, when union by first intentions was exceedingly rare.

Dr. Kilpatrick was also interested in meteorology; during his early life in Louisiana for twelve years he kept a register and made meteorological reports to the Smithsonian Institution.

Dr. Kilpatrick was offered many positions of honor but declined to serve, except as health officer in the town of Navasota, and as president of the Texas State Medical Association, 1877.  He was a member of the Mississippi State Medical Association from 1846 to 1848.

Dr. Kilpatrick was a Mason of high standing and a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  he was married four times and had four sons and four daughters.  He died in his home at Navasota, September 19, 1887."

Taken from "The Medicine Man in Texas" page 231 to 232

W. Carey Crutcher, M.D. (1860 - 1920)

Practiced medicine and surgery in Mount Vernon, Texas.  He was the son of Larkin J. Crutcher and Charlotte Jane Rood Crutcher, born in Russellville, Kentucky.

He was a pioneer surgeon in a hospital he owned and operated in Mount Vernon, Franklin county, until his death.  He was one of the first physicians in East Texas to perform appendectomies.

He is buried in Mount Vernon, Texas.

Howard Kelly Crutcher, M.D. (1900 - 1986)

Born July 4, 1900 Mount Vernon, Texas
Died March 12, 1986
Buried in Dallas at Sparkman/Hillcrest Mausoleum

Born in Mount Vernon, Texas, the son of William Carey Crutcher, M.D. and Nora Ray Crutcher.  His father was a pioneer surgeon, one of the first in east Texas do perform appendectomies.

There were four sisters, all are now dead.  Frances Davidson of Austin, TX.  Willie Veal Crutcher, Emma Jane Taylor and Lucy Lee Henderson of Dallas.  One brother, Aubrey Smith Crutcher of Houston, also deceased.

He had two wives.  He married Mozelle Wells in 1927 who died in 1957 of stomach cancer.  He married Dorothy Stiles in 1959 who died in 1984 of lung cancer.  There were two sons by his first marriage, Howard K. Crutcher, Jr. and William M. Crutcher, both medical doctors.  At the time he died, he left three grandchildren: Sharon Lynne Yoh of Havertown, Pennsylvania, Mark Allen Crutcher and Paul Monroe Crutcher of Dallas.

His early interests in life were music.  He sang with a traveling evangelist, B.B. Crim, during the summers and holidays while he was going to college at Baylor.   His interest in music was maintained throughout his life.  He went to hear the Dallas Symphony the last time on Friday, February 28, 1986.  He sang in the choir at Park Cities Baptist Church for many years.  He shared that interest with both of his wives.  Mozelle and Dorothy played the piano, and Dorothy had been a piano teacher and church organist before their marriage.

As far as I know, he had no "hobbies".  His life was dedicated to hard work.  He made an attempt to learn to fish and play golf after his retirement at age 72, but he never really enjoyed either.  He used to take off from his practice every August.  This was time spent with his family, usually traveling both in the United States and Europe.  Several summers were spent in Colorado and Minnesota fishing and visiting with friends who would gather in joint vacations.  After his retirement, he and Dorothy traveled extensively to all of the continents. He had always wanted to go to Alaska, and we were in the planning stages of a trip up the inside passage for the next July.

His first love was people and medicine.  He enjoyed forty-two years of medical practice in Dallas, mostly in Oak Cliff, where he practiced at Methodist Hospital.  He has the distinction of being the only physician to serve on the board of Baylor University Medical Center (during the '40s).  He was a past president of the Methodist Hospital staff.

He served in the Army ROTC during WW I, but was too old to serve in WW II.  He was politically conservative, and in recent years had supported Reagan and the Republican party.

He loved horses and cattle.  He used to raise and show horses and kept horses at home before Oak Cliff became a part of the city of Dallas.  He raised and campaigned a quarter horse named Jiggs Bailey.

He raised registered Hereford cattle on a large ranch just outside of Hutchins.  He raised a calf that later became a register of merit bull, CW Prince Domino the 21st.  His partner in the cattle business for many years as Mr. M.D. Wilhite.  He sold his ranch in 1950 and afterwards kept saddle horses on a small property he bought in DeSoto.  He later sold that property and got out of the horse business.  He missed his ranching very much.

He was a happy person and did not like unpleasant situations.  He always thought positively.  He bought a new car in 1983 (age 83) and bought a five year extended warranty!

He enjoyed the business affiliations he made through the years.  He was the Medical Director of United Fidelity Life Insurance Company for many years.  He was a director emeritus of Metropolitan Savings & Loan and of the Republic Bank Oak Cliff.  These affiliations were the results of contacts he made through his lifelong churchmanship.  He was a member and deacon of Cliff Temple Baptist Church and later at Park Cities Baptist Church.

He was a member and past president of the Oak Cliff Lions Club.  A special program had been scheduled to honor him on the day before his death.  He had been a member for more than 50 years and rarely missed a meeting.

He outlived many of his old time friends, and all of his brothers and sisters.  He was quick to make new friends, as evidenced by the continued relationships he had, again mainly through his church.

His concern until the last was for others.  The last statement he made to me while he was alive was his interest in who was the administrator of Medical City Hospital and how I thought the hospital was being run.  He was always concerned about the future of medicine.  He received a letter of congratulations from Medical Protective Company when he retired that they had never received a complaint about him, and certainly never a threat of a malpractice suit in forty two years of practice.  This statement can not be made my many physicians.

William M. Crutcher, M.D.
written March 14, 1986

Benjamin Baxter Wells, M.D.  (2012- 1978)

The son of William Monroe Wells and Mary Elizabeth Baxter Wells born in Rockdale, Texas, and was educated at Baylor University and its College of Medicine, receiving there the M.D. degree at the age of twenty-three, then receiving the Ph.D. degree from the University of Minnesota in 1941, for work involving the first isolation of the substance later identified as the hormone "aldosterone," working with the Nobel Laureate Edward P. Kendall.

He followed an unusually varied and successful career which included service as Investigator in Endocrine Physiology at Cold Spring Harbor for the Carnegie Institution of Washington; Instructor in Biochemistry and Chemical Pathology at Baylor College of Medicine; Professor and Chairman of the Department of Medicine and dean of the University of Arkansas School of Medicine; Professor and Chairman, Department of Medicine, Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska; first Dean of the California College of Medicine (which he converted from an osteopathic school to the University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine); Vice President and Senior Editor, W.B. Saunders Publishing Company, Philadelphia, for two years; Chief of Staff, Veterans Administration Hospital, new Orleans, Louisiana; Director of Educating Service, Veterans Administration and Education, VA Central Office, Washington, D.C.; Assistant Chief Medical Director for Research and Education, VA Central Office, Washington, D.C.; Hospital Director of the VA Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio; Professor of Medicine and Assistant to the Vice President for Health Affairs, University of Alabama in Birmingham Medical Center and Director of the Alabama Regional Medical Program; and Deputy Chief Medical Director, the second position in the entire VA medical care system, 1970-1974.

He was the author and co-author of a number of text books on clinical pathology and related fields, and authored numerous scientific articles, book chapters, and other publications based on bio-medical research.

When he died October 12, 1978, he was Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean for Continuing Medical Education in the University of Alabama School of Medicine.

Taken from A "Resolution of The Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama, October 27, 1978"

Howard Kelly Crutcher, Jr., M.D. (1932 - 2006)

He was the son of Howard Kelly Crutcher and Mozelle Wells Crutcher.  He was born and raised in Dallas.  He attended Dallas public schools, graduating from Sunset High School in 1948.  He attended Baylor University and the University of Texas in Austin.  He was graduated from Baylor Medical College in 1956.  He served in the United States Navy on the carrier USS Lexington.  After leaving the Navy, he trained in general surgery at Baylor Hospital in Dallas for one year then switched to psychiatry and completed his residency at Timberlawn in that field.  He established a private practice in Dallas.

He took a part time position with the Social Security Administration in the late 70's.  He closed his private practice and took a full time position with Social Security in their San Francisco office.  He later transferred to the Department of Labor and worked there until he retired in 2005.

He lived in retirement at Guerneville, California.  Howard died August 4, 2006.

William Monroe Crutcher, M.D. (1937 -  )

He is the son of Howard Kelly Crutcher and Mozelle Wells Crutcher.  He was born and raised in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas.  He attended Dallas public schools and was graduated from Sunset High School in 1954.  He attended Baylor University in Waco.  He then attended the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and was graduated in 1961.

He did an internship at Dallas Methodist Hospital completed in June of 1962.  He was drafted into the United States Air Force and served as a General Medical Officer from 1962-1963.  He attended the U.S. Air Force School of Aviation Medicine and then served as a Flight Medical Officer at Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.  He was released from the service in June 1964 after serving two years which satisfied his draft obligation.  He chose to remain in the Air Force reserve, stationed at Perrin Field in Sherman, Texas.  He was a resident physician at Dallas Methodist Hospital for one year training in General Surgery.  After this time, he was a resident physician at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas taking training as an Otolaryngologist (ENT) completed in June, 1968.

He entered the private practice of medicine July 1, 1968 and practiced for 53 years before retirement in 2015.

Charles Carey Henderson, M.D. (1921 - 2013)

He is the son of Samuel Henderson and Lucy Lee Crutcher Henderson and grandson of William Carey Crutcher, M.D.  He was born in Sulphur Springs, Texas and later moved to Dallas where he attended Dallas public schools and graduated from Adamson High School.  He then graduated from Southern Methodist University with a B.A. degree.  

Dr. Henderson was graduated from the Southwestern Medical College in 1945, being a member of the second class to graduate from this new school, formed when Baylor Medical College moved to Houston from Dallas.

He was married to Ruth Bybee in 1946.  They have three children, a son and two daughters.

He had an internship at the San Diego Naval Hospital.  He served in the United States Navy for two years.  He practiced general surgery after being trained at The Mayo Clinic and M.D. Anderson in Houston.

He practiced in California for many years in San Mateo and Auburn.  He moved to Henderson, Texas to continue his surgical practice.  He was president of the Rusk County Medical Society.

He retired from his medical practice in 1989 and took an administrative job with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois.  He retired from that position in 1994 and returned to his home in Henderson.  He raises registered Devon cattle.  He led a very active life and had many interests.  He did extensive work on the genealogy of the Henderson and Story families.   

Last updated 04/25/2020

Return home