Frank T. (Buddy) Kallus, M.D., Ph.D.  Died May 8, 2006 age 70

I first met Buddy in 1957 when we both entered Southwestern Medical School in Dallas.  He was born and raised in LaGrange, Texas.  He attended Texas A&M University.  Our lives crossed many times over the next 40+ years.

We became much better acquainted during our internship at Dallas Methodist Hospital after we graduated from medical school in 1961.  It was at Methodist where he met Mary Manry, who was a student nurse.  They married several years later, about 1963.

Buddy and I went into the U.S. Air Force immediately (drafted) after our internship.  I was stationed at Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio.  I learned that Buddy was coming to San Antonio to attend Flight Surgeon's school that was located on my base.  He stayed with us during his time there.

I remember one memorable evening when he was complaining of a thrombosed hemorrhoid.  He tried hot sitz baths that did not help.  I offered to help him by excising the clot from his hemorrhoid.  He enjoyed telling this story for many years.

Another memorable event about Buddy was after he returned from his first year tour of duty at Tule, Greenland.  He had left a rifle and a shotgun with me for safe keeping while he was gone.  He called me that he was back and was stationed at Carswell AFB in Fort Worth.  He had recently married Mary, who I had not met.  He asked me to bring him his firearms on my next trip to Dallas.

It was Friday, November 22, 1963 and as I drove my VW bug to Dallas I listened to the radio.  John F. Kennedy had been in San Antonio the days before and we had made preparations for him to visit our base, but he did not come. A news flash reported JFK had been shot in Dallas and a search was being made for the gunman in Oak Cliff, the section of town where I was headed.  With the guns in the back seat, I decided to detour to Fort Worth at Hillsboro rather than come through Oak Cliff!  I delivered the guns, and met Mary.

After we got out of the Air Force in the summer of 1964, we both took post graduate training.  Buddy was at Parkland Hospital in Dallas in anesthesia training.  I was at Dallas Methodist Hospital in my first year of ENT, a general surgery rotation.

In the summer of 1972 my first wife had  a declaration of divorce served at my office by a deputy sheriff.  We had been having  problems and had been in counseling and I thought we were doing better so I was flabbergasted by the thought of divorce.  The next few months I spent many evenings at the Kallus' house eating dinner and talking.  They both knew my wife, as we had gotten to know each other when we were in training.  Physically and emotionally exhausted I would fall asleep on the floor watching TV after dinner and Buddy used to say he didn't understand how I could stay awake after eating breakfast

In 1974, I remarried and Jane and Mary became fast friends.  We dined at each others homes on many occasions getting to know Jenny and Angie their two little girls. Jenny had a tongue thrust counter productive to wearing braces and Jane being a speech therapist helped her resolve the problem.

In 1977 Buzz Crutcher, a neighbor and friend of Buddy and Mary's, called to tell us that Mary had died.   She had been terribly affected by migraine headaches for years.  I had seen her as a patient but there was no effective treatment for migraines beyond pain medications.  Jane and I immediately went to their house and offered Buddy what support we could..  It was devasting to all of us and will remain in our memories as one of the worst days of our lives.

Buddy's daughters were in LaGrange visiting their grandmother.  Buzz Crutcher (no relationship known) offered to charter a plane to go get the girls.  I went with Buddy and we picked up Jennifer and Angie and returned to Dallas.  Buddy was very concerned about whether or not Mary would be given a Catholic burial.  She had converted, Buddy was a cradle Catholic.  I was not privy to those conversations, but she did received a Catholic service and is buried in the Catholic cemetery.  Buddy was left to raise two small children on his own!

Buddy, in addition to having his medical degree, had a Ph D in pharmacology and worked as a research scientist for Southwestern Medical in the anesthesia department   I had a wonderful Brittany spaniel named Pat that was a pretty good quail dog.  Pat developed mange and I took  him to see vet dermatology specialist who offered little hope but I tried everything anyway.  Finally it was clear Pat would only get worse so I decided it was best to put him down.  I was very grateful when Buddy offered to help.  It was very difficult to do I shed many tears over it.

Our contact with Buddy was off and on over the next few years. Then in 1994 we moved to El Paso and lost contact.  When we returned to Dallas in 1997 we couldn't locate Buddy.  He had sold his house and moved.  I did not think to try to locate him through the State Medical Board.  Later, I learned he had left the medical school and was working as a Medical Director for Geico, in a building just down the street from where I officed when working for Prudential HealthCare.

Then one Sunday Jane ran into Buddy at Sam's.  She heard a voice behind her, and turned to find a man with a beard in one of there electric carts trying to get something off a high shelf.  She said, "I know that voice",  hugged him and ran to find me to come and see who she had found. He came home with us for dinner and we spent several hours reconnecting. Our friendship was like a skip in a record, we just took up where we left off.  Sadly we learned that he had cancer and was seeking treatment methods for advanced disease.  It turned out that none of the treatments were effective, and he became very discouraged.  When it became too challenging for him to live alone his daughter Jenny persuaded him to move to Lubbock where she could care for him. Jenny, a lawyer, works in the district attorney's office and has lived in Lubbock several years.  She and her husband, Chuck, brought a trailer to Dallas and moved Buddy home with them.   Jane and I went to visit him the day of the move.  It was an emotional encounter for both of us as we expressed our love for one another.  We visited by phone a several times but it wasn't long that we got the call that he had died.  Buddy had chosen to be cremated and Jenny asked me to be an honorary pallbearer at his memorial service. At his service we were able to visit with Jenny and Chuck and  to see Angie, who we had not seen in many years.

I will always miss Buddy!


Return Tributes

Return Home